Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Sad story

1
This week has been especially special. With absolutely no work to distract me, I had the pleasure of marathon-ing through House of Sand & Fog in a matter of 3 days! Yep, I’m happy to report I have finished the book.
If you want to know how desperate people can get and what desperation can drive a person to do, this is the book for you. I’ll be honest, towards the latter part it started dragging a bit with the same determination portrayed again and again for the 3 characters. What really kept me going is being unable to figure out how it would end. As I neared the end I figured there was only one way for it to end (don’t worry I won’t share it here and spoil it for any wannabe readers) but the book surprised me with its ruthless end.
I still don’t know with whom my sympathy lies – the immigrant who wanted to give his family a better life, a woman who was simply a victim of circumstances and not ready to let go or the hopeless romantic (really hopeless) who went to serious lengths to make his lover happy.
The Boston Globe said of the book, “A page-turner with a beating heart.” Really, I couldn’t agree more.

Yep, definitely watching the movie.

1 Response to Sad story

September 23, 2010 at 10:00 AM

i don't know if i want to learn how desperate people can get, but a lot of the time you run into that in life anyway in books or elsewhere. ha !

i was at the chiropractor the other day on the table waiting to be adjusted, and the one employee said she was going to be nosy and look at my book under my keys and cell phone on the counter. i told her to check out the oversized punctuation stickers (i'm reading the grammar sticklerism book, i think i mentioned before). she was all wow-ed out by it, supposedly, and said i always have such interesting books. ha. that is a nice compliment ! i am really trying to get more into reading again. i don't want my brain turning to sludge !

Post a Comment