Monday, March 7, 2011

Sufi learnings

2
A famous Sufi master was invited to give a course in California. The auditorium was full at 8AM - the time announced - when one of the assistants came onto the stage.

The master is just waking up. Please be patient.

Time passed, and people started leaving the room. At midday, the assistant returned to the stage, saying that the master would be starting the lecture the minute he finished talking to a pretty girl he had just met. Most of the remaining audience left.

At 4PM the master appeared - apparently drunk. This time, all but 6 people stormed out.

I will teach you this, said the master, ceasing to act drunk. Whoever wishes to go down a long path must learn that the first lesson is to overcome early disappointments.
On Friday this parable, from Veronika Decides to Die, reverberated through me and I came to understand patience more. This wouldn’t have happened if a dear friend hadn’t  texted me to vent her frustration over her totally undeserved job performance review. Apparently she isn’t a ‘team player’.
During our talk she mentioned to me, much to my agreement, how with each passing day and each unfulfilling review, team lunch/dinner/drinks she was rooted more and more to the idea that the path she is on is her true calling and she is not one of the corporatey people.
That got me thinking - what if we have to walk this path to test our dedication? What if the seamless flow of knowledge, enlightenment, fulfillment, peace, whatever we seek is not too far away but will be available only to those who pass the test of patience and those who learn to overcome early disappointments? What if this path has been brought into existence to weed out all those in the audience who left when the master was still sleeping or busy talking to a pretty girl or was pissed drunk? Nature could be that master, couldn’t she? She could be throwing obstacles or delays in our way to see for how long we stay committed to our goals.
So for everyone who is in doubt, wavering or unsure, don’t give up. Nature will give us our peace, our creativity and the opportunity to make good work of it. And then, team playing will be our strongest suite and the job review will be A+!

2 Response to Sufi learnings

Anonymous
March 7, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Just what I wrote in my journal this weekend. I am in fact grateful for these experiences, because I learn everyday I'm not defined by any of this, nor by what I do as my 'job' in this life. I've ceased to be unfulfilled by it, in fact I come to work with a smile on my face each day, because what matters most is that my heart is at peace. I never quit caring or doing my best.

Sure, we all have "days" but were not for "injustices" or the ridiculous, I'd never be able to savor being totally understood, the sigh of relief I let out when my shoes are off at home and I get to enjoy a simple hug, or a call with someone I love and sees me past this. I actually thank god for letting me be the observer. xoxo.

March 8, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Sometimes what amazes me the most is how inspite of being at different places, people have the same experience! The same feelings and emotions run through us at the same time which makes me believe at a deeper level we are all connected. At some point we knew this but in the greater malady of this life, we have forgotten that. I am grateful for those reminders.

Post a Comment