Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Baking bug

3
Baking is one thing that the more you do, the more you want. I don't care about eating everything I bake, except tasting to make sure its edible, sometimes all I want to do is bake! Its therapeutic. The churning of the flour, mixing of the ingredients brings some sort of joy. Adding the sweetness brings some joy to my life and melting butter seems to melt some of the stress away. All in all, its a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon. For a while, I had abandoned baking; not because I ceased to enjoy it but simply because time is a huge variable. Not every weekend is the same, the same applies to the fluctuating energy levels.

Anyway, the new edition of Cooking Light magazine made its way into my mail box. Flipping through the magazine, I saw a recipe for a lighter, healthier version of carrot cake. Normally I shy away from sweets and try to keep my husband off of them too (he has a bad sweet tooth), but carrot cake just melts my heart! It is my favorite dessert and if there is a way to make it healthier you think I wouldn't try it?


So I set off baking the cake this weekend and I am happy to report that it turned out MUCH better than I anticipated. See, baking breads and muffins I am ok with but this was the first time I was baking a cake. If I was nervous I didn't show but honestly I didn't know what to expect. Sometimes -- and we've all been there -- you make something with a lot of care and love only to realize that something has gone wrong and it isn't what you thought it would be. This, I am happy to say, was not one of those times. I shone in the kitchen like a new penny. And it earned me a lot of admirers too! All the way into the hallways of my husband's work were people talking about it, thanks to him of course. OK, there might be a little exaggeration here but whoever tried it loved it. I was called a hero, a savior of the dessert and many other adjectives, suffice to say, raised my self esteem and made me want to try baking the cake again.

I will put the recipe on here soon but for now salivate on the pictures. If any of you know how to make a cake lighter and fluffier, please share it so I can improve upon a nearly perfect treat! Also if you find modesty anywhere, please send it my way.

3 Response to Baking bug

chiggins
March 29, 2011 at 10:25 AM

THIS IS GREAT. I HEARD THROUGH THE GRAPEVINE THAT YOUR BAKING IS BEING RAVED ABOUT SO IT MUST BE GREAT. I DO UNDERSTAND THE TRUE THERAPY OF BEING IN THE KITCHEN MIXING INGREDIENTS AND WAITING FOR THE OUTCOME AND WATCH WITH PLEASURE AS OTHERS ENJOY THE FRUIT OF YOUR LABOUR. I COULD DO THIS EVERY DAY BUT MY SPOUSE THINKS I WILL EAT IT ALL AND WOULD NOT LIKE THE OUTCOME. BUT EVERY OW AN THEN I GET THE BUG. MY FRIENDS AT WORK GAVE ME TWO BOOKS ON BAKING. LOVE THEM.

March 29, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Yes, I need some books on baking! That's next on the list.

chiggins
March 29, 2011 at 2:47 PM

i'll take care of that.

Post a Comment