Monday, October 4, 2010

Religious? No. Scientific? Umm, maybe.

0
This weekend was phenomenal. The weather decided to be cooperative (until Sunday night) and bestowed us with abundant sunshine and the perfect temperatures. Taking advantage of the sunlight that very soon will become scarce I went hiking with some friends to Bear Mountain. 40 miles away from the city, I did not know there could be so much peace and serenity to be found! What a marvelous day to enjoy the scenery and get the heart rate thumping. Seriously, at one point in the hike, I thought my heart was going to explode and blow me to smithereens. Knowing my accident prone behavior, on the way down, I was sure to fall on my face and break a bone or two. Fortunately, nothing like that happened and I finished the hike without a scratch.

On the way to the top

View from Bear Mountain
Coming back to reading, I started Adam & Eve by Sena Jeter Naslund. I’m about 60 pages in and have mixed feelings so far. Needless to say, she is trying to draw parallels to the Bible by setting Adam in the middle of nowhere (which he thinks is the Garden of Eden) and is craving for Eve. Her prose sometimes is lyrical but also a bit foolish as she describes Adam’s attempts to name things around him. (I think he is suffering from amnesia). Somehow he ends up naming a peach as a peach and an airplane an airplane. Viola!

Eve’s name is Lucy – and she is so called because of the oldest fossil that was discovered a year or so ago. So someone who entrusts her with a codex threatening to destroy the origins of the 3 major religions says, Lucy is the evolutionist’s Eve. OK, good attempt at reconciling recent discoveries in the book.
Now Lucy has set off from Egypt en route to Europe with this codex that obviously fundamentalists will kill her for. And to add to it, she has a flash driver from her brilliant late-husband that contains proof of extraterrestrial life. Being a huge science buff I’m willing to explore this book without any judgments a bit more. Stay tuned for the final verdict.

No Response to "Religious? No. Scientific? Umm, maybe."

Post a Comment