Monday, October 11, 2010

Feasts galore

0
To honor Mario Vargas Llosa I decided to read one of his books. The Feast of the Goat was highly recommended and so I started that off. When I first heard of the name, I thought of the movie men who stare at goats, which was a funny movie with the hottie Clooney. But nope, its not a comedy book. Then I thought perhaps its about a wedding where they right, feasted on a goat. But I was wrong again.

Defying all of my common sense, the book is actually a political novel set in the Dominican Republic. It's about assassination of Dominican dictator Rafael Leónidas Trujillo, and its aftermath, from two distinct standpoints a generation apart: during and immediately after the assassination itself, in May 1961; and thirty years later, in 1996.

The first chapter, about a woman who comes back to the DR to see her ailing father, totally hooked me. I can tell with all certainty this is going to be a highly engrossing, keep me up at night sort of book. Will let you know how it goes.
Until then enjoy the gorgeous weather. I hear it starts raining tomorrow, yuck!

No Response to "Feasts galore"

Post a Comment