Monday, October 18, 2010

Confidentiality et al

0
About 2 weeks ago my husband comes home very excited. Rupee I got you your next book! Turns out, someone he knows loaned him Kitchen Confidential and he thought I might be excited to read it. Honestly, I am not a big cook book reader but seriously, who can pass up Tony Bourdain? Still, I was hesitant. While KC sat on my bookshelf for a few weeks I finished Feast of the Goat (which is a definite read) and Adam & Eve (eh) the whole time pondering if I wanted to pick up Tony. I love Tony Bourdain but did I really want to read his book?
This past Friday I was searching for my next book but as fate had it nothing was appealing. Saturday was a beautiful day and so we took off hiking at Minnewaska state park. The leaves have all turned and the view from 1000 feet was simply awe-inspiring. Sunday rolled around and I still didn’t know what I wanted to read. By yesterday evening I knew I had to pick something up and KC seemed the only choice. So I waved the book at my husband who gave me 2 thumbs up! Alright, Kitchen Confidential it is.


View from Minnewaska state park

The preface was funny. Its started off in typical Tony Bourdain style. So there is a lot of obscenity already but as he said that’s the world of the cooks! He promises the book to be an honest representation of the life of his colleagues, nothing more nothing less. According to him it wasn’t a book he thought would propel him to stardom or enable him to have dinner with Eric Ripert. So imagine his surprise when both and many more of those things happened. Free food at the best restaurants was perhaps the biggest perk, in my opinion, he started enjoying. The best wine, cheese, gourmet meals, ahhh!! The stuff of heavens!
So for the week, I’m donning my chef hat and adventuring in the world of the culinary underbelly! Stick around for more on Kitchen Confidential.

No Response to "Confidentiality et al"

Post a Comment