Wednesday, October 20, 2010

My salutations to you, oh Sun!

0
Yoga is a huge fad right now. Some of us understand what yoga is and how it can change your entire psyche. Others do it because it's so cool to say I'm doing yoga. Well, I 'm not really judging anyone. I'm sure the gods of yoga won't take offends that you serve them only because you think they're cool. To be honest, they should kinda like that since in the past the only people who cared enough to pay attention were sadhus with giant Amy Winehouse type bee-hives.

So yesterday I read some article on one of the countless Indian websites I visit during my busy day of work about the benefits of sun salutations. There was also some mention on how doing 50 of those a day would profoundly change your life. So when I got home, I pushed my dear hubby to cooking dinner and attempted as many salutations as possible within 15 minutes. Why 15 minutes? That's all the time I had before the pizza would be ready. I did 10.

The plan tonight is to do 50 but its past 6 pm and poor me is still sitting at my desk.

I found another article on the benefits of sun salutations today and figured two days in a row stumbling on the same info is a universe conspiracy that I must share with people who take time to read my crap. So here it goes-- (Btw, sun salutation's Hindi name is Surya Namaskar. Surya=Sun, Namaskar=saluation. Know Namaste? Namaskar is derived from that).

- You don't need to be doing yoga regularly in order to practice the Surya Namaskar. If performed correctly, this exercise does not strain or cause injury. If performed in the morning, it relieves stiffness, revitalises your body and refreshes the mind. Do it during the day and it will instantly boost you up, practice it after sundown and it helps you unwind.

- Not only does the Surya Namaskar give you a great stretch and keep you fit physically (it is extremely beneficial for your joints, ligaments and improves flexibility and posture), but is also does wonders for your mental and emotional health.

- Surya Namaskar stimulates almost every system in your body - the cardiovascular system because it keeps the heart strong and, the digestive system as well as the nervous system.

- It also makes endocrinal glands like the thyroid, parathyroid and pituitary glands, function normally.

- Practising the Surya Namaskar regularly is also known to ease stress and give you peace of mind besides increasing your levels of concentration.

One additional benefit I read yesterday was Surya Namaskar also massages the liver.

Bow and salute to the Sun and all shall be well!

No Response to "My salutations to you, oh Sun!"

Post a Comment