Monday, February 7, 2011

Technology...the necessary evil!

0
It's been a while that these electronic reading gadgets have been out. For the longest while, I debated if I really wanted to buy one, because, well there is some magic to opening a book that would hitherto be lost. The smell of books, the flipping of pages, all are gone and instead replaced by a snazzy machine. Sort of like when you waited with bated breath for the mail man to bring you that letter which can now be sent in seconds via email. Yes, I didn't want to let go of the past. The biggest reason for giving up the books was saving the environment, imagine the number of trees that can be preserved now that we don't need as many pages. Wishful thinking? I think so too. They'll always figure out a way to burn this poor planet down. But I feel a bit of relief knowing I did my part. So yes, I succumbed to the e-readers!

For the most part, its a really great experience -- weighs about the same in your bag and hand. Picture is good, no strain on the eyes, long battery life blah blah blah. One big problem though -- it is technology which means sometimes the bloody thing won't work! Case in point, I went to bn.com and tried to buy a book -- the process for which was uber complicated. After 84657435438 attempts, I finally bought Never Let Me Go, a very different kind of story. Now, I am trying to download the blasted thing on the e-reader and it won't work due to several complications.

Firstly, it shows me only 34 pages. 34 pages!?! That in itself is ludicrous. Then, when I open the book it tells me there is some kind of error. Huh!? Needless to say I am soooo annoyed and am hoping this problem resolves itself so I can get into reading. If any of you know how to resolve this, please let me know. If not, I have to wait for those lazy reps from Barnes & Noble to tell me why their dumb app isn't supporting their own books! Grrr.

No Response to "Technology...the necessary evil!"

Post a Comment