Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Learnings from a new class

2
Due to President's Day, the church where Vedanta classes are normally held was closed so this past Saturday, we met at our teacher's apartment in the city. Let me start by saying that it was not at all what I expected. Better or worse? Well, just different, but then again what did I expect. The man is practically an Indian so it should have come as no surprise when I stepped into the door and could smell the familiar incense. Walking through the hallway, I was amazed at the art he had on the walls - various Indian decor, small idols of various Gods, Buddha paintings in the living room. There was a wall to wall library with every conceivable book on India, along with various religious paintings. George (teacher) walked me over to one stand in the living room that had a temple on it, made of wood. This wood he told me he picked up from various spots in the city, that people throw away from construction or other activities. The left over wood he then carved into a variety of forms to create a beautiful temple. I took a picture but due to improper lightning it may not show the best image. Nevertheless, I must share the intricate art work he did.


George then showed me an another temple that was constructed out of beads, that he painstakingly painted and put together. The decor, deities and paintings were perhaps to be expected but such beautiful artwork I really did not expect. Shortly thereafter, we were joined by other students and the class began.

Picking up where we left last week - we talked about discrimination against the pranamaya kosa or the vital-air-sheath. The pranamaya kosa does not have consciousness but consciousness comprises of the vital air sheath. The prana's primary function is to vitalize the mind and intellect and is the single faculty that binds our subtle body to our gross body. So it acts like a glue.

Next up is the manomaya kosa or discrimination against the mind. The most important thought in the mind is the "I" thought. All subsequent thoughts and actions are a result of this I thought. If in an individual, the I thought were to collapse, the mind would collapse and so would the world. The concept of "I-nes"s and "my-ness" are born and maintained in the manomaya kosa. All these I thoughts are witnessed by the consciousness. So the thoughts of my mind, my body, my intellect, my wife, my husband, my this and my that are all born and festered in the manomaya kosa.

Manomaya kosa pervades the pranamaya kosa, just as pranamaya kosa pervades the annamaya kosa. The mind can only perceive those things that are already known. What I do not know, I cannot think about. For that, we have the intellect.

The mind cannot be controlled unless we control our sense organs. So we should get away from sense objects in order to quieten the sense organs. There are two ways to do that - taking the stance of consciousness -- so constantly reinforcing the idea that you are the consciousness and everything else is a mirage or by practicing self-control. This would mean to not let anything create an imprint on the mind. (Of course a mixture of the two methods can also be practiced).

If you realize 'I AM' everything in this universe has an uncanny way of taking care of itself. The key is to drop the worry and let the universe work everything out for itself. Everything gets integrated but we are too busy worrying and pondering to let the universe work its magic.

Next up is Maya -- the illusion that this world is. All avidya or ignorance is Maya. Avidya is the cause of mind, a phenomenon that unlike the mind is not subject to time. Avidya veils the Atman and the result is the projection of the mind. To give an example, avidya is saying I don't know that that is a rope. The projection it causes as a result is the illusion of a snake. This is Maya. We superimpose the mind on the Atman and the result is a veiled approach to everything we see and do.

Therefore to get out of this rut, there is only one way - stop the churning, stop the mind, quieten it with anyway that best works for you.

Final thought of the day - before studying the world, study yourself. So don't criticize anything to see in someone else. Take care of yourself first before passing judgement on anyone else. That will be some exercise for the mind.

2 Response to Learnings from a new class

chiggins
February 22, 2011 at 11:00 AM

it is basically the same as I understood reading "A conversation with God" or Eckert Tolle. we are beginning understand much more especially after the westerners studied with the easteners. The language is easier for me when written by the westerners just as it is easier for you with your eastern knowlege. The message is the same and it is fantastic we are learning so much more now. WE ARE MORE AWARE NOW than we have ever been.

February 23, 2011 at 8:42 AM

Right, the message is the same. Love, peace, harmony and controlling the mind is the way to go whether Tolle says it or Sankaracharya.

Post a Comment