Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Sights, sounds, ahh home!

0
So I am back, from a 2-week vacation in India where it was hot to say the least. Every time I visit Mumbai, I find it doesn’t cease to amaze me – the noise, pollution, seamless chaos are things we’ve all heard about but what I find truly remarkable is how despite all this people are going about their daily business. Seems as if they are numb to everything around them, just another decibel never hurt anyone, just another car and few more mopeds shouldn’t stop the fun. This in itself teaches me a thing or two about life – regardless of anything happening, you should never lose sight of your goals and strive hard to achieve them, just as the ordinary Mumbaikar battles the heat, the swarm of people, the shortage of buses and trains to get to work. The spirit of the people is indeed commendable.
On the other side, the one thing that enrages me is the lack of patience Mumbaikars have for just about anything! Walking down a narrow passage and God help you if someone is coming from the opposite side. Unlike here, the person won’t stop to let you pass before they venture but create this awkward situation where your butts would grease to go past each other! Even on the streets, the beloved rickshaw drivers or any other driver cannot wait a moment to get past a pedestrian or another vehicle. Soft touch and go accidents are a way of life there. In my 2 weeks I must have seen over 6-7 such “accidents” on the streets.
Say whatever, nothing ever tops the feeling of going home; just the familiarity of the surroundings oozes happiness. The comfort of knowing everyone around, the sights and the sounds (no matter how unnecessary) are something I will always associate with my home. Add to that, the fancy treat of rain we witnessed upon our landing and subsequent days that tore the earth up emitting fragrance better than Chanel No. 5! My only regret perhaps was the missed chance in indulging in my favorite activity – walking on the beach in the rains relishing a corn on the cob.
Perhaps the heavens will hear my plea and rain down the next time I visit Bombay. All in all, an awesome trip and now I’m back to the inescapable reality, blah!

No Response to "Sights, sounds, ahh home!"

Post a Comment