Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Death as a Teacher - Katha Upanishad

0


The message beyond words
Though hard to hear
Seems to be screaming
To be perceived
It tells me a tale
Of a young boy
Who chanced upon death
And made it his teacher
Pray tell me, o death
Wherein lies the path to liberation
How do I achieve the holiest of holies
And redeem my soul to the eternal One
Why do you worry so hard, spoke death
And stress your young mind with such mysteries
Many sages have lived lifetimes
To realize this eternal One
This resplendent world offers you
Many carnal joys
With a thousand comforts waiting on you
Do not ask me to reveal
That which is futile to understand
Do not ask me the secret to death
Those desires are but fleeting
Why do I wander there
My heart craves for this immutable truth
Do I die when this body dies
Death looked upon this young traveler
Realizing his genuine longing, thus spoke
I will give you the word of the scriptures
And reveal a truth greater than the greatest
Realize yourself in the self
And you shall be free from the clutches of death
This self that resides within you
Was never born and shall never die
It lives on hidden in the heart of every creature
Unified, at peace, with the cosmic love
Do not run after sense pleasures
For these will only trap you
In the endless saga
Of life and death
Instead meditate on the self
And see the unity in all living things
Meditate on the self
And dissolve in the universal joy
Rise above this city of eleven gates
To attain the unitive state
Separate yourself from the ego
And know yourself to be pure
You will see you are immortal
You will conceive your boundless beauty
At once beyond all desires
You will live in perennial joy
Thus having learned from death
The young one lived
Separate from all desires
And attachments
He won immortality

No Response to "Death as a Teacher - Katha Upanishad"

Post a Comment