Monday, January 9, 2012

Quick reads

0
As far as reading goes, this year is off to a flying start! After finishing the Gita and learning a lot about attitudes, mind sets and restricting the ego I am starting 2012 on a much lighter note. Primarily because the Gita sucked the life out of my grey cells and I thought to diversify my reading with something fun, light and fluffy.

Another important reason being a colleague had close to 80 books on her Kindle, courtesy of her boyfriend, who hunts them down on websites for FREE!! I was close to tears when she said she would share them with me. So off I went reading. After completing BRAINRUSH II which was really not a bad read, I am still not sure about the alien angle though, I devoured The Twelfth Imam in a matter of days. Now, I am reading The Lion by Nelson DeMille.

Both these books are thrillers and focus on religious zealots who want to kill to spread their message, something sadly occurring frequently in our world today. The Twelfth Imam is based primarily in Iran where the country is feverishly waiting the arrival of the Chosen One to destroy evil and lead them to salvation. Pack in some action from the CIA, a smart agent, his long lost love and you get all the elements for a conclusively speedy, mindless read.

The Lion is also about Islamists militants but with a little twist. Its about Khalil, a guy hell-bent on vengeance for his parents and family that were killed in an air-strike in Libya. Throw in John Corey, former NYPD homicide detective and now a special agent for the Anti-Terrorist Task Force, who will do everything to stop him. The book has a funny tone, Corey can be a sarcastic but funny chap but there are several bloody tones to it as well, as Khalil goes about the country killing innocent folks.

For the next little while, I will speed through the bounty I am enjoying courtesy of my colleague. Maybe at some point I will feel motivated to pick up something a little more stimulating but for now I am loving the perfunctory reading!

No Response to "Quick reads"

Post a Comment