Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Light or not so light reading

0
I've been admonished that what I call light reading is in fact very brutal and tense. In the words of my mother-in-law "Religious Zealot is not de-stressing". She recommends I move to more of a Sophie Kinsella type book which is loaned me over the holidays. Its about a lawyer who decides to wrap her life and move to the suburbs to work as a maid in some stranger's house. For now, however, I am ploughing through more crazy books. Ms. Kinsella may have to wait a little longer.

Running back to my bounty, I picked out Altar of Eden. About 30% done yesterday, I still couldn't get into the story. What sounded promising at first, turned out to be a bad drag. The story starts off in Baghdad, Iraq where some concealed underground lab is ransacked and some of the most precious cargo is towed out. Turns out this cargo is some genetically modified creatures all of whom share one common trait -- heightened intelligence. A few years later this cargo is found, on a ship, in New Orleans and in come the man and woman on whom it falls to protect, understand and find the people responsible.

For the first 30% the story went on and on about a saber-toothed jaguar who was causing havoc in the area after it escaped from the ship with its cub. Now, finally its moving past the cat on to the rest of the story. We'll see where it goes but I am guessing there are no terrorists here so its definitely a different kind of read :-P

No Response to "Light or not so light reading"

Post a Comment