Friday, September 9, 2011

Fun reads

0
After finishing Too Big to Fail, my brain was incapable of processing anymore intelligent material. So I resorted to my favorite type of go-to novels -- Thrillers! Over the course of a long overdue vacation and some sunny weeks in New York I finished reading 3-4 books, after which tiredness descended upon me and I abandoned reading for a while.
During the course of my non-stop tirade I did manage to uncover a new character that I quite enjoyed. Jack Reacher, a Lee Child creation. Like most women, I love reading about guys who are tougher than tough, can get out of any situation effortlessly and have razor sharp intellect. Jack Reacher meets all those qualities and then some. He is the tough guy’s tough guy. So on and on I went reading about him and then Google-d him. For those who’d like a mental picture of Reacher, think of Hugh Jackman in his latest Wolverine avatar…ahh…times 10. Well not so much, maybe 5, ok no 3. Yes, 3 is good.  So with this picture in my head I am Googling Jack Reacher and guess what I find? They are making a movie out of one of the books. Now, firstly, what is up with every book being turned into a movie? Most never live up to the books (think Angels & Demons and the biggest disaster Da Vinci Code) so why ruin a handsome book? But the other important criterion is who is playing Reacher. Before the next line think of that mental picture again. Now, go on. It’s Tom Cruise! TOM CRUISE?! TOM CRUISE?! The little cuddly mamma’s boy? The one who looked more beautiful in Top Gun than Kelly McGillis? That ruins that!
I think it was the uber disappointment of reading that which swore me off books for a few weeks but thank fully Ken Follett changed all that. My mother in law sent Eye of the Needle, a book based during WWII. So spies, soldiers, murders are all rampant! Die Nadel or the Needle is the spy the MI5 is trying to track down. Throw in a woman not loved by her husband marooned on a lonely island and all in all you get a good thriller. Apparently it debuted as Storm Island and they made a movie from it too. There you go again!
The pages are flying as are the lovely days of summer. I’ll wait for the weather to change before taxing my brain. For now, beach reads is the way to go!

No Response to "Fun reads"

Post a Comment