Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The unknown life

1
This morning I came across a beautiful article that talked about how the righteous always face an up-hill battle but for the wrong doers, things seem to be a lot easier. Somehow, I agree with that. It's always easier to eat up a piece of cookie or devour a yummy chocolate cake but so much harder to say no and walk away from it. I know the article meant about more intense things in life - upholding dharma, being kind, etc. - but I think these things are also a part of it.

I am in no way obsessed with the way I look and what weight I carry but I take care of my body because this is the vehicle I need in order to learn from life and ensure I walk the right path. If my body is not sound, my mind will be caught up in the disease and naturally other, more important things, will take a back seat. It is not about eating little but eating right.

The article further went on to say calamities happen with everyone and it is impossible to determine the cause or the reason for these. Whenever something goes wrong in life, we always fling our hands and ask "why, God why? Why me?" When I was in India, while conversing with a young lady about something awful that had befallen her and her family, she said something that stuck with me throughout. She said, "Why not me?" Now that doesn't mean she is praying for bad things to happen to her, I'm sure quite the contrary, but when things go sour she is standing bravely to face them without complaining.

Good times and bad whirl us around on the wheel of time and life is incomplete without a taste of either. The article goes on to state things happen as a result of our actions in our past lives. Karma makes good or bad things happen. This doesn't mean the guy swindling people and getting away with it did everything right in his past life. Even if he did, he blew his chances this time around, didn't he?

The idea is sometimes we question adversity (never happiness) and wonder why it is happening. The answer is -- something from a past life has to be resolved and this is the way to get rid of it. Sometimes we question certain events and the answer is - we don't need to know why they happened yet. Perhaps at a more conducive time in the future, they will be revealed. Sometimes maybe not, because we really don't need to know why. The important thing is to learn from it and move on. Treat each experience as a lesson. Treat this universe as a school and we are students. We enter and leave based on our soul's need for education. When we graduate, we won't return. Until then we keep learning.

1 Response to The unknown life

CHIGGINS
December 21, 2011 at 1:22 PM

I'VE QUESTIONED WHY ME IN THE PAST WHEN I FOUND MYSELF MOST FORTUNATE. NOW IN DISTRESS I STILL ASK THE QUESTION WHY ME. IT'S NOT THAT WE DO NOT LOOK ON BOTH SIDES OF OUR ADVENTURE GOOD AND BAD BUT BECAUSE WE ARE AWARE OF THE POSSIBILITY OF ANYTHING GOES WHEN CHOSEN FOR GOOD OR BAD.

Post a Comment