Tuesday, August 24, 2010

My first entry

4
People who visit this blog might wonder if I really mean what  I say. Truth, in all sadness, is yes. I really don't have anything better to do. Let me add that I'm not one of those 412144545 people, thankfully, who are struggling to find a job. I have a job, landed a new job recently but still...In short, I have a job where I struggle to find work. Some might think this to be the most ideal situation where you are getting paid to sit on your ass, literally! But being the abnormality that I am, my brain is itching to find something to do. Truth be told, I just want to keep my grey cells going so I don't become dumb. Yes, I am paranoid like that.

So now that I've started this blog, what should I write about? There are a few things I'm good at and then several things I'm not good at. I guess I can make it a mish-mash of sorts. But I would like to start the blog with the idea that prompted its creation. I'm going to undertake a challenge, of mammoth proportions by George Bush's standards. Here it is: for the next 52 weeks, I will attempt to read a book a week. Now, before you naysayers think its impossible to do that consider this. My desk at work faces the window and there is a giant plank in front of me. No one can see what I'm doing or better yet what I'm reading. Every day I will attempt to write the progress I'm making with the book and how much more I have to go. I will share the name of the book I'm reading so those of you who have read it please don't be party poopers and release the suspense or the story.

Might I add, I'm a really quick reader.

There might be some days I'm busy at work, in which case I will try to keep up the blog after I'm home, if my dear husband permits. Thing is, after a long gruelling day at work, I like most women have to go home and slave in the kitchen and make sure the man is fed continually. (Just putting it out there so you understand my limitations).

So here we go -- for this week I shall begin with the glorious 100 Years of Solitude by the master, Gabriel Garcia Marquez. (I have a tiny confession -- I started the book yesterday and have finished the first 100 pages. But worry not, there are 300+ pages more). Some of you have loved the book, while others find it hard to read. So far, I've been into it. I find that he has a great sense of creative realism and the ability to go all over the place with finesse. I tried his Love in the Time of Cholera and could not get into it, but after I saw the movie with the hot Javier Bardem, (which my Venezuelan friend who worships Marquez, quickly dismissed as detestable), I developed a renewed sense of interest in his work. I must admit at first I couldn't grasp the characters quickly and had to read a bit about the book to understand what it was all about but its smooth sailing now.

If you've read it -- loved it or hated it -- share it with me. I'm also compiling a reading list for books I should read so if you have any in mind, feel free to share them. Here's what I have for the next few weeks:

-- Song of Solomon, Toni Morrison
-- The Idiot, Fydor Dostoevsky

For now, I go back to work.

4 Response to My first entry

August 25, 2010 at 8:57 AM

Welcome to the world of blogging....looking forward to reading more...by the way I have always loved Dostoevsky! I will reread the Idiot with you!xoxo Saveen

Anonymous
August 26, 2010 at 2:40 PM

this is very encouraging because i'm also in a very boring position in life both on the job and the age where my husband seeks only to spend his time on the couch before the TV and wants me along side him as well. Like you i'm enoying the Lisbeth Salander trilogy. The third book is a challenge already because of all the new characters I'm familiarizing myself with. Anyway it's gets me out of the boredom zone.
mom higgins

September 1, 2010 at 9:46 AM

so what is your current job, miss ?

i don't think you're abnormal to want to be constructive or productive. i think that just shows that you have a mind that doesn't want to be sludge ! you want to learn and keep absorbing more and more about the world and experiences. so that is a good thing, i figure. i can relate, at least somewhat ! it depends on the day for me, and my full-time job makes it hard to want to go outside sometimes.

ah, i read the last sentence of the first paragraph after i wrote the above blahblahblah. samesies, dear ! i am so paranoid of becoming a dullard and letting my intelligence fall out of my skull. it's probably a big part of why i miss college so much. i'm always worried that i'm going to become stagnant and not maintain my education. but that type of worrying implies that i won't let it happen, so i shouldn't fret. but you know how it goes !

i almost wish i could get a job reviewing books, ha. i have so little time to read, and that in itself makes me feel more vapid. but luckily, i am finding time here and there more lately (the gym is a great place, i'm noticing-- headphones + reading a book, no bored time while working out. i love it !). i can see where you'd pursue this task for your brain's betterment. i like it !

my current read is ''middlesex'' by the guy who wrote the virgin suicides. it's about a history of a family that leads up to the life of an intersexed child. it was the recommendation of one of my favorite author's, asking her to suggest books akin to her own style i just adore. i had contacted this pittsburgh writer named sherrie flick who wrote a flash fiction book i cherish, and also a new fiction book called ''reconsidering happiness'' which i recommend you check out for sure if you are not limiting yourself in the specific books you will pursue in the next so many weeks.

i hope you're getting paid well too ! do they not track progress or tasks ?? that's cool though, in a sense. at least you have the opportunity to tackle this book-ly endeavor.

if your dear husband permits you to keep up with your blog-- i'd hope so ! he should cook some. he'd be lost with me. i can't cook to save my life.

i wanted to read ''100 years of solitude'' but never got around to it, of course.

i wondered how ''love in the time of cholera'' was given the big deal it was in the movie ''serendipity.'' i love me some john cusack, oh oh !

i find that a lot of books are sometimes hard to get into, but somehow, i eventually get to the smooth sailing part. maybe it's just a faltering in my brain, the first limitation kind of way about it at first, in the initial pages of a book.

i've never read dostoevsky either but was curious about him.

are you reading any nonfiction books, or just fiction ? if you are considering nonfiction, i might have some recommendations on personality types, which i guess you'd only be into if you suit you specifically. but i find that i'm usually right about pegging well.

i am prolix, i know !!

September 7, 2010 at 10:12 AM

my heart jumps with pride that this was your first book ;) Surprisingly is not my favorite one by him but it is a masterpiece.

Post a Comment